Marriage/Civil Union Certificate FAQ
Who is authorized to receive a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate?
The following persons are authorized to obtain a certified copy of a record. Proof of relationship to the person named on the record is required.
- The registered couple named on the marriage or civil union certificate.
- The parents of the individuals listed on the record.
- A child of the person named on the record if of legal age.
(You will need to show your own birth certificate.)
- A sibling of the person named on the record.
(You will have to show a certified copy of your birth certificate.)
- A legal representative (You will be required to show a court order.)
- A guardian with legal custody of a minor child.
(You will have to show the court order.)
- A federal, state, or local government agency for official use only. Identification is required.
Can I authorize another person to obtain a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate?
You can authorize another person to obtain a copy of the marriage or civil union certificate on your behalf. The applicant must submit the Delegation of Authority Form.
Where can I get a certified copy of a marriage or civil union record?
Every attempt will be made to issue a marriage certificate at the counter, however, circumstances may arise that may prevent over the counter issuance of marriage certificates. In this case, the application will be accepted at the counter and the certificate will be mailed to the applicant in a timely manner.
Apply in person or send your written request to: Registrar, Denville Division of Health,
1 Saint Mary’s Place,
Denville, New Jersey 07834
Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Our register/counter hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 pm.
What will I need to do to obtain a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate by mail?
If you send your application by mail, print a copy of the application to request a certificate and complete the Marriage or Civil Union section.
Please provide the following info:
- The full name of the couple as it appears in the record.
- The exact date of the marriage or civil union
- The place of marriage or civil union
- Attach copies of your proof of relationship to the individual identified on the record, unless you are requesting your own record
- Indicate the number of copies needed, and the reason for which you are applying for the marriage or civil union certificate (to obtain a passport, driver’s license, identification, registration for school, marriage, etc.)
- Include your telephone number
How much does a certified copy of a marriage or civil union certificate cost?
The cost for a certified copy is Fee Schedule per copy.
Credit cards or personal checks are not accepted. Money orders addressed to the “Denville Division of Health” are acceptable. You may pay cash in person.
How can I reach the Registrar?
Please contact us at 973-625-8300 EXT 262.