Marriage/Civil Union License FAQ
Where can I apply for a marriage or civil union license?
If either applicant is a resident of New Jersey, the application is made in the municipality where they reside.
If neither of the applicants is a resident of New Jersey, they must apply in the municipality where the ceremony will take place. This license is valid only in that municipality.
What are the documents required to apply for a marriage license or civil union license?
Documents required from the couple to apply for the license are:
- Proof of identity: driver’s license, valid passport, or federal or state identification.
- Proof of current address.
- A witness over 18 years has to be present at the time of application.
- Your social security card or social security number (this is a legal requirement for U.S. citizens is kept confidential by N.J.S.A. 37:1-17)
Suggested documents (not required but help with the preparation of the license)
- A certified copy of your birth certificate to identify the names of your parents and your birth data.
- A divorce decree or civil annulment document if one or both applicants has been divorced.
- A death certificate, if an applicant’s spouse is deceased.
- International documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- There is a minimum of seventy-two (72) hours waiting period prior to issuing a license. The waiting period begins at the time of the application and is mandatory.
- Blood tests are not required to apply for a marriage or civil union in the state of New Jersey.
- The license is valid for six months.
How much does a marriage or civil union license cost?
The marriage or civil union license requires a non-refundable payment of Fee Schedule. due upon application for a license.
Will I need to set up an appointment to apply for a marriage or civil union license?
Appointments for marriage or civil union license are required. Call the Registrar at 973-625-8300 EXT 266 to schedule an appointment.
How can I reach the Registrar?
Please contact us at 973-625-8300 EXT 266.
Office of Vital Statistics